Tuesday, September 13, 2016

My Ironman

My husband has been training for this past weekend LITERALLY for over a year, he worked his tail off and last weekend, he did it. He finished his first Ironman. {And for the sake of our family hopefully his only for a while - it was draining on us all.} We had a great time in Madison, we had a marvelous hotel located a block and a half from the finish line and we loved doing a little bit of exploring around the city. We went over on Thursday and my parents came over Friday night and we all left Monday. It was great to have my parents there to help with Lucy.  Some non-race highlights in Madison were: the farmer's market around the capitol on Saturday, the endless hours in the hotel pool, the divine food on State Street, and the time spent together.

He did well and I seriously couldn't be
more proud of him. He trained HARD for a year, with some weeks getting up and around 30 hours of training. He was dedicated and rarely missed a workout, even with his major bike crash a month ago, leaving him with a broken wrist he still kept training. He had to wear a wrist brace as a result, however, it didn't slow him down. Marc claimed after seeing the event and being around it and hearing all of the hype I would want to do it. While I have enjoyed a triathlon in the past, I have ZERO desire to ever do an Ironman at this point in my life. Maybe someday down the road when my days aren't filled with diapers, sleepless nights, mountains of laundry, and pure chaos.


The Ironman consists of: 2.4 mile open water swim, 112 miles on the bike, and a 26.2 mile run - the first cannon goes off at 7:00am and you have to cross the finish line by midnight! While it was fun and impressive to watch some of the pros come in early into the evening what was even more impressive was watching those who came in the last two hours and even the last half hour. There was a ton of raw emotion and endurance there that is over the top inspiring. Marc ran with two other guys from our area - these three men have been training together all year and they have worked hard to say the least! We were all very very proud of them all. On Sunday night when we all finally laid our heads to rest, I was exhausted from moving all over the course just watching them and chasing a toddler, I can't imagine how they all were feeling.



No comments:

Post a Comment