Saturday, November 2, 2013

Chicken Enchilada Soup

I am not certain how working women pulled off having dinner ready at any sort of a reasonable time (read before 9:00 pm) before the invention of the crock pot. Seriously, I cook in a crock pot at least three times a week. Why, because I never know what time I will get home and when I do get home the last thing I want to do is cook over the stove, I just want yummy food ready to go when I walk in the door, hence my obsession love of the crock pot.

Now that fall is definitely upon us I have gotten back into soups (LOVE soup during the colder months, which in northern Minnesota is October through April May). My most recent soup is from THIS PIN on pinterest. I also LOVE pinterest and actually cook and make things off of there weekly.

Here is the soup I made this week:

Add everything except the cheese and cilantro and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.  Add the cheese and sprinkle with cilantro just before serving

Chicken Enchilada Soup

3 cups chicken stock
2 skinless, taw chicken breasts diced into small pieces
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp  chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 jalapeno peppers, minced
2 green bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup tomato paste
8 oz colbyjack cheese, shredded (because this is what I had in the house)
8 oz pepperjack cheese, divided
1 cup cilantro, chopped
Tortillas

Dump everything, except the cheese and tortillas, into the crock pot, reserve some of the cilantro to be spread over the top. Add most of the cheese with about fifteen minutes left in cooking. I also added strips of tortillas at this point. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the bowls of soup as they are served. I also had some tortilla chips sitting around that I crushed and put a few on the top of the bowls of soup as well.

I am sure there are 12,000 things you could do to this soup to change it up a bit. We loved it and enjoyed eating it for a few days.


Do you have any great crock pot recipes you want to share?
Do you like soup season?
What are your go-to meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment