Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Switching my last name.....

I am totally jazzed to be getting married in June. I am totally excited for about 90% of it all. There are a few things I am not as jazzed or even mildly excited about -although I am working on becoming more excited. I have been a proud Thomson for 29 years. I love my name in fact. Thomson's are strong people. I am totally not yet convinced of the changing the name deal, really it depends on the moment you ask me.

Yes, I know it is easier once you have kids and blah blah blah and I have a colleague in my area who didn't change her name when she got married, and yes she said she is glad she didn't change her name but admits that it always hasn't been easy. People assume things (I know don't worry about this but seriously when you already live in a fish bowl there is no need or reason to make it worse), people can be dumb, life is already complicated enough. Yes, I know all of these things.

And then I think, I am just as much a Blake (my mom's side) as I am a Thomson and I have never carried the Blake name, although... if you looked at my family and our cheeks you would realize that we all have the same super round faces that we all hate. However, I am just as proud of a Blake as I am a Thomson and have never technically carried that name.

Blah. Change. Blah.

Not to mention do you know how much crap my name is on and how much crap I need to change in order to change my name (yes, this is me being lazy as an excuse). It'll be fine. I am whining now. I admit it.

Either way: true confession: I am struggling with this name change crap.
I am working on a solution.

8 comments:

  1. Girl I hear you!! I had a hard time with it as well. I battled over what to do for months but finally went with my husband's last name. It was a decision I made completely on my own without pressure from anyone. I hope you are able to come to peace with a decision...I know how tough this one can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is such a hard decision. I am leaning towards taking his name but I am torn for sure. Marc isn't pressuring at all. BLAH decisions.

      Delete
  2. No matter what just order at least 5 copies of your marriage certificate with a seal. I'm glad I did so I didn't have to go back and keep asking for them! Good luck. (PS- My sisters legal name now uses her maiden name as her middle name.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good tip on getting a ton of copies. Ridiculous how many you need.

      Delete
  3. Man oh man! I felt the same way. I was downright (almost) depressed over the fact that my Myers last name will end with my generation as I have nothing but sisters! Sad, true. But, I wouldn't have it any other way now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a funny decision and I feel like very rarely do people talk about it.

      Delete
  4. It was weird going to a new last name, but once events start happening and you are acknowledged for it, your name feels more genuine and comfy like an old friend you picked back up with. As far as the legal stuff goes, start with the ss card and the rest is pretty smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip- it is hard to know where to even begin.

      Delete