Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Runner's High

I absolutely live for the runner's high. After being sick for a couple weeks I finally got back in the swing of running and it is starting to feel good again. While it usually takes me a a good half mile to really get into any run, the after effect is always amazing. I love the feeling post a great run. Mind you the first few steps of going to get my running shoes, putting them on and running that first half mile is always a struggle, some days I think nearly anything can distract me from getting in a run. Some days it is not an issue at all and others, are just rough.

Once I am into the run I enjoy the process, I enjoy challenging myself to go just one more mile, and pick up the pace just a little bit, I enjoy pushing myself to see exactly how far I can push myself. Half of running for me is a mental game, can I overcome the mental game is the general battle I wage. Don't get me wrong it is a physical game as well, I must overcome what my body tells me I can and cannot do but more importantly I fight against my own mind telling me that what I am doing is not possible.

The runner's high at the end of a race, I look forward to it, I crave it, I enjoy it while it lasts, and it is enough to motivate me to get up the next day and do it all again.



What motivates you to get up and run?
What do you fight against on your way to workout?

No comments:

Post a Comment