Wednesday, October 3, 2012

May the odds be ever in your favor.

This post will be rambly for sure. Feel free to read on and enjoy the craziness of my mind this morning.

Confession: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Hunger Games, I was drawn in instantly, and I would like to note that I read them long before they became popular. The movie is good on its own as well, yes, I know there are lots of differences between the book and the movie.... however they must be viewed semi-separately. They can't include all the glorious details of the book in the movie it would be 65 hours long!Anyways... I love the books and the movie. I was captivated and drawn in.

Anyways... The phrase "may the odds be ever in your favor" frequently runs through my head. I text it to a few of my friends the morning of rally Sunday (kick off of Sunday school and really the fall church year), as I begin a run (in my head) I say it and everyone I pass I pretend is competing against me. When I get on the treadmill at the Y (which I try to avoid treadmills) I am totally racing the person next to me, it doesn't matter how long they have been on or if they are even walking, we are racing. Somehow this foolishness motivates me. Seriously. I am a strange duck I think.

I know the phrase doesn't work fairly quickly, no I am not out to kill everyone around me and I am not trying to be the last one standing, however some days the phrase just carries me. Yes, there are lots of other phrases that carry me that are probably much better however, I still love this one. I love the drive and the determination of Katniss to beat the odds and rise above when no one thinks she will. I love the way in which it is assumed she will not return and death will be the victor, I love that she faces the impossible and overcomes. I love that at the end of the day death will not be my victor either, I know that death (while still really really painful for friends and family of those who have died) does not have the final say rather life and life and life abundantly in and through the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. There rests my hope, in the triune God, who continues to mold me and transform me, who continues to transform the world around me.

Totally unrelated: a dear friend of mine took some pictures of my fiance and I on Sunday (she supposidly isn't a professional photographer but rocks and could be if she wanted). Yesterday I got a cd of teh pictures and they are super fun! We had brought Dakota along and she played along really well. We had a blast hanging out at the arb and taking photos. Here are a few for you to enjoy. I love my sweet puppy and my fabulous fiance. I love the photos. It was hard to pick which ones to put up here, they all turned out amazingly. You may end up seeing a few more because I love them so much. Now to pick out which ones to hang in my house.







Do you have any phrases that motivate you?
What are your favorite books?

No comments:

Post a Comment