Sunday, March 6, 2011


    Well its official. I have been assigned to the Northeastern Minnesota synod and it comes by complete surprise. I was under the impression (as were several of my friends who had been assigned to region 3) that eastern Minnesota was not taking any candidates due to a lack of openings. This must not be true, due to being called there. I will also admit that a piece of my heart had committed to either the western side of Minnesota or one of the North Dakota synods or even South Dakota. These preferences were mostly based on the high number of my friends and family in this area. Although I a not opposed to Northeastern Minnesota by any means.
    My synodical assignment comes with mix emotions and feelings (which is true of pretty much everyone who is assigned). I am excited to explore and learn a new area. I am excited by the prospect of living near a lake (I love being out on a lake). I am excited about first call and the ways in which the Holy Spirit moves and works in all people. I am nervous because I am a native South Dakotan who LOVES to see my horizons, NE Minnesota has a lot of trees and while I enjoy camping for a weekend in such locations I have never fathomed living there. It'll be interesting. I am also a little bit sad that I don't have any friends already up in that area and that none of my classmates were assigned to that same synod. I am a little saddened by the distance from my family and many of my friends. In my heart of hearts I was hoping to be close enough to one of my relatives so that I could drive to them on major holidays, while I greatly appreciate people who on internship invited me into their homes for holidays, it isn't the same as being with family, being a guest during holidays is hard for me. I know I will need to develop new traditions and figure out what it means to celebrate the holidays as a single female living in Northeastern Minnesota.
    I trust the Bishop has something in mind for me or knows of some calls opening up. I am anxious to talk to him or one of his assistants. I have my fingers crossed I'll hear from someone this week to let me know what to expect and can maybe grant me a glimpse into what the future may hold.
    "Lord God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and you love supporting us; through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen." (One of my favorite prayers out of the ELW)

No comments:

Post a Comment