Sunday, May 14, 2017

Dear Biological mom, love a foster mom

Dear Biological Mom,

I can't imagine the strength it took to separate from your child. I imagine it's the same strength and determination I see in your son as he is trying to take his first steps.

I wonder the roads you are walking and the steps you are taking. I pray for you. I pray that you have a support network to come alongside you and catch you when you fall, to encourage you when the road seems rough, to hold you up when you don't have the strength to do it on your own. I want you to succeed in reunification with you son. It is a gift to have him with us. We've surrounded him with our own village of people who love him, care for him, and have taken him in. He's in good hands. He's well loved.

I want you to know the ways in which the little guy snuggles in with his blanket and bottle as he closes his eyes at night. I want you to see the joy in his eyes as he chases balls around the house. I want you to know his adventurous spirit. I want you to be able to kiss his bumps and bruises as he explores and discovers the world around him. I want you to know the ways in which he loves food and his fierce shake of the head when he disagrees or is all done eating. I want you to kiss his sticky fingers and face at the end of the meal. I want you to be here for him. I want you to be the one he calls "mama."

For now I stand in your place, he looks to me as "mama." I kiss the sticky fingers, the bumps and bruises, and read books with lots of pictures. We play on the slide and he would let me push him for hours on the swing. My daughter introduces him as a brother.

I pray for you, each and every day. I pray you are able to do what you need to do to be with your son again. I grieve for the things you are missing and the things we see. We are rooting for you.
In the mean time, know we love your son. We are caring for him to the best of our ability and trying to document everything so we can tell you all about it if the chance were to arise.
Enjoy the hand and foot print art we sent you, may it remind you of the sweet little boy who is growing and changing every day.

It will be hard on our family if/when he goes back home to be with you. We will cry big tears, we will continue to pray for him and you each and every day. His story, your story, and our story is forever woven together no matter what the future holds.

Be bold mama and work hard, you've got this. I believe in you.

Love,
  a foster mom caring for your son

1 comment: