Wednesday, May 28, 2014

3 YEARS


Today marks 3 years since I have been ordained as a pastor.
3 years ago today, I stood before God and family and friends and made vows of a lifetime.
3 years ago today, I had NO CLUE the road I was about to travel, the sacred ground I was being called to.

In the last 3 years I have:

  • doubted repeatedly
  • been invited into some of the scariest and most exciting times in people's lives
  • affirmed my baptismal vocation to word and sacrament
  • held a newborn baby only hours old
  • baptized many babies and a few older folks
  • have felt totally and completely clueless
  • presided over the Lord's Supper several times a month
  • led funeral services for many faithful saints
  • questioned what I was doing daily
  • met more amazing people than I ever could have imagined

It has been quite the journey, this past synod assembly I sat in awe as they handed out the certificates for those who have been in ordained ministry for 35, 50, 60, and 70 years. I wondered about the stories they could tell, the sacred ground they have walked on, the wisdom they have gained, and the questions they have asked. I laughed as I thought about how God calls people into full time ministry and how clueless we sometimes feel, and the ways in which the Holy Spirit continues to affirm my call and walk alongside me - thanks be to God for the patient people who continue to teach me what it means to be a pastor and continue to affirm me where I am.

There are moments in which it is tempting to give it all up and go with a more "traditional" job, but for the most part I look forward to this coming year and to see what God is up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment