Thursday, August 2, 2012

Olympics

In general I am not much of a tv watcher, sure I have a few shows that I like to DVR throughout the year (Grey's Anatomy, Deadliest Catch, My Yard Goes Disney, and Modern Family) but I am not one who HAS TO watch a show the night that it comes out. If I have something else going on or just don't feel like watching tv I have no issues recording the show and watching it next time I sit down to watch tv (later that week or even a week later, I trust the shows will be waiting for me). However..... there are two weeks every two years that you can find me glued to the tv at every opportunity - during the winter and summer Olympics. Granted I have figured out that I can go run at the gym on a treadmill and still get to watch the Olympics, as long as I get to watch I am jazzed.

There is something mesmerizing about watching athletes from around the world compete. Maybe a piece of it is I have always always always dreamed of being an Olympian. I have always dreamed of being good enough to compete at that level. But there is something else about nations coming together in friendly competition. During the Olympics every sport captures my attention, archery, equestrian, soccer, synchronized diving and swimming, gymnastics, kayaking and soooooo much more. I love watching people compete at the Olympics. I love cheering for USA and for the underdogs. I love watching the joy of the people as they stand on the podium to receive their medals. I love watching the tears of the parents as their child wins and Olympic medal.

I love sitting with my friends, a bowl of popcorn in hand, cheering for the people on the screen as if they can hear us. I love that my friends and I are coming up with plans to become Olympians ourselves, we have decided that curling might be our best option. The unfortunate part is none of us know how to curl but we figure we have six years until we need to be ready (we think two will be a little quick). There is something magical about the Olympics.

Adding to my bucket list: volunteer at the Olympic games (no preference on summer or winter)

No comments:

Post a Comment