Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The First Steps...

I have recently fallen in love with running. I know it is nuts and for those who knew me through high school and college you knew my hatred for running more than about two miles, now some how, I am in love with the 10k and half marathon distances. I love them for so many reasons.
1. It is a challenge to get in shape for each race.
2. It is a challenge that is attainable if I work at it.
3. At the end of the race you get a sweet medal (sadly for me this does motivate me some).
4. I have grown to love the way I feel after a good run and even during it (most of the time).
5. While I still love playing basketball it really isn't all the practical for staying in shape, I need to find a team and then be able to commit to being available at the same time every week, which with my call is just not possible.

My list of reasons could go on for a long time. But today I realized something. It doesn't matter what distance I am set out to run I always, always, always struggle with the same point in the run. I struggle with those first steps, the steps to get me out the door and running. Once I am going the goal will be met unless my body for some lame reason decides otherwise (which happens when I haven't drank nearly enough water or haven't gotten nearly enough sleep). I hate talking myself into starting my run, I do it to myself about three out of five runs. I don't know why. I don't know if I am afraid of not being able to reach my goal, I don't know if it is because I'd rather be getting something else done, or what my deal is. But faithfully I struggle with the first steps out the door. I give thanks for the stubbornness in me that pushes me to take those steps and go for a run. I give thanks for the people who also sign up for road races and encourage me to keep running. I give thanks for a body that likes to run. I give thanks for my ipod to accompany me along the path. I give thanks for the chance to have complete silence if that is what the day demands. I give thanks for those who challenged me and encouraged me to try running and taught me how to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment