Friday, June 14, 2013

Tourist-Ville

I really do love living where I do, most of the time. I live where people vacation, I live where people buy million dollar lake homes to live in for a few weeks out of the year, I live in a very touristy location. It is a great location and has a ton of perks of being here. We get all sorts of amenities because we have so many tourists come through our area.

I was aware of this as this past week we were up in northern Wisconsin in the Apostle Islands, I imagine that those folks feel much of the same way that we do. I wish I could help out the tourists some and remind them that they don't have to haul their big boats with big trailers and their new trucks and park across nine parking spots at the grocery store and Target.

I welcome our touristy friends, I want to share that which we love with everyone, however, I wish I could some how post a sign that says something along the lines of "remember some people live here full time, work here full time, and live where you vacation."

For those of us who live in the lakes area, we alter the way we live in the summer. We get groceries Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday and we would never consider going out to eat Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. We avoid the main roads and travel back roads and dirt roads to make space for you and we try to be as friendly as we can.

So dear tourists - enjoy the lakes, land, and state parks as much as we do, but please respect them. Keep your zebra muscle infested boats out of the waters, pick up your trash, and have a marvelous vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment